New yr, new … area? For US owners assembly their New Yr’s resolutions, updating their house is usually a significant mission. And it is not simply within the New Yr that buyers are impressed to renovate their properties – design and décor are key all year long and play an necessary position in maximizing curb enchantment.
At Opendoor, we all know that design isn’t just for performance, however for private expression as nicely. Particularly on this aggressive market, investing in house options which are each lovely and helpful can’t solely enhance the worth of your own home, but in addition enhance your each day routines.
That is why we’re reaching out to owners throughout the nation to find their design preferences in a brand new survey titled Dream House Design: Opendoor’s Decor Report 2022. What we discovered revealed the highest design traits, house options to keep away from when trying to entice consumers, and general shopper design priorities for 2022. Listed below are a number of the prime findings:
Pattern forecast for 2022:
Foremost design and ornament preferences
With regards to décor, owners go for cheap choices that pack a punch. Exchanging furnishings for adornment or extra steadily is frequent for 32% of the respondents; And but 42% of them are extra intimidated by adorning prices. In consequence, their favourite methods to renovate the décor are by way of easy-to-achieve objects like recent paint (66%), seasonal décor (53%), and furnishings rearrangement (50%).
Tip: Contemplate rearranging furnishings and décor based mostly on perform and swapping out equally functioning elements in numerous rooms. For instance, think about altering your nightstands and front room finish tables or rearranging accent chairs to rapidly and simply change your decor. A multifunctional piece of furnishings that I like is the ottoman, as a result of it takes up little or no area and may be simply moved. Contemplate putting ottomans within the entryway and rearranging them to behave as further seats, footstools, and even further finish tables.
At Opendoor we give attention to streamlining the actual property transaction for each consumers and sellers in order that they’ll transfer with simplicity, certainty and pace and get the house of their goals. They will fear much less about shopping for or promoting properties and put their vitality into the issues they actually take pleasure in, like exploring their design preferences and hitting “replace” on the decor. The highest house traits of 2022 recommend a need for expression by way of design and luxury:
- Matching furnishings units At a time when shoppers worth easy and refined interiors, 77% of respondents famous that matching furnishings units are a straightforward method to embellish.
- Brightly coloured accent partitions Splashes of coloration add visible influence. Householders are captivated by the concept of brightly coloured accent partitions inside their properties (77%), whereas few need all-white interiors (37%). Selecting the right accent wall coloration will rely by yourself fashion, so if one individual loves one thing darkish and moody like a charcoal accent wall, one other individual would possibly go for one thing extra earthy like burnt sienna. At Opendoor we choose Sherwin Williams Agreeable Grey for our properties.
- Subway Tile This timeless end is most well-liked by 67% of house owners and might sometimes be present in kitchens and bogs, in a wide range of completely different patterns. In case you’re prepared to combine two traits collectively, create an accent wall in your lavatory with brightly coloured subway tiles. In 2022, I like to recommend a vibrant teal or sage inexperienced to reinforce the area.
- Shiplap Partitions 61% of respondents are followers of this Chip and Joanna Gaines basic straight out of an episode of “Fixer Higher” for a country really feel.
- Photo voltaic Powered Lights Inexperienced landscaping has turn out to be much less of an possibility and extra of a precedence. Actually, 52% of these surveyed named these lights the most well-liked inexperienced gardening function. Contemplate making small updates that have an effect. Dimmers are an effective way to preserve vitality, and repurposing decor is a straightforward method to be sustainable.
- Pure and subdued exteriors Grey and beige are the popular colours for the outside of the house, with 30% and 26% of these surveyed selecting these alternatives, respectively.
We anticipate seeing these traits reign all through 2022.
Purchasing from house:
For these trying to purchase a brand new house, some design parts could play an even bigger position in that call than others. Whether or not they’re reviewing an area within the Opendoor app, nearly touring a house, or coordinating a time to see an area in individual on their schedule, at this time’s shoppers are on the lookout for potential house “purple flags” like these outdated properties. traits that point out that extra work could also be wanted:
- Out of date Kitchen That is the primary design to place off, with 71% of consumers saying it could discourage them from going forward with a possible house buy.
- Outdated Lavatory 66% of buyers say an outdated lavatory is a big turnoff.
- Dated Carpet On the decor aspect, 59% say dated carpet is a deterrent when contemplating a brand new house.
- Outdated Home equipment Half of consumers notice that outdated home equipment are a foul signal in the course of the house shopping for course of.
Sellers shouldn’t overlook the significance of renovating their interiors from the consumers’ perspective. Specifically, house enchancment continues to be a precedence for house consumers – about 1 in 7 is prioritizing kitchen transform tasks.
The inside and outer life is right here to remain:
Transitional areas are necessary to owners
Curb enchantment remains to be a sizzling subject for shoppers, and out of doors areas with practical parts which are additionally aesthetically pleasing are prime of thoughts. A newly designed garden (43% of respondents) and punctiliously trimmed vegetation and shrubs (26%) provide the best exterior enchantment.
Respondents stated that an out of doors eating desk and chairs (24%), a fireplace pit (21%), and an out of doors construction (20%) prime the checklist for an ideal yard setting. At a time when house leisure is slowly however absolutely returning to regular, a well-maintained out of doors setting can’t be missed.
Tip: Do not underestimate the facility of a well-designed out of doors area. Whether or not you are in a year-round heat local weather or a extra seasonal setting, indoor and out of doors residing and out of doors leisure are the important thing to a cheerful house. Certainly one of my greatest suggestions is to give attention to lighting.
Be sure you have stable out of doors electrical choices so you need to use lighting to set the temper. Whether or not you are entertaining or simply having fun with an evening out with household and buddies, string lighting is a superb possibility that permits you to alternate colours and create a comfortable environment.
Prime Design Sources
Discovering inspiration for design and décor is vital to a cheerful house, and shoppers throughout the nation can agree on who to show to for recommendation. Unsurprisingly, fashionable design specialists embrace confirmed specialists like HGTV stars Chip and Joanna Gaines (23%) and The Property Brothers: Jonathan and Drew Scott (19%). Youthful cohorts additionally flip to The House Edit duo Clea Shearer and Joanna Teplin, whose signature rainbow aesthetic supplies nice inspiration for #organizational objectives.
And when it got here time to convey these imaginative and prescient boards to life, respondents famous the significance of getting exterior specialists to supply assist. About 1 in 3 (38%) owners say they’re seemingly to make use of a digital inside adorning service to obtain adorning and design concepts. Not surprisingly, this on-line instrument is particularly fashionable with youthful teams (Millennials: 61% and Era X: 47%).
Practically two-thirds (65%) of house owners plan to rent a handyman or contractor to repair or repair their house within the subsequent yr. Like those that spent essentially the most time consulting The House Edit recommendation, 21% stated they intend to make use of a house organizing service in 2022.
& Spending habits
Decor procuring begins with brick-and-mortar shops: 56% of respondents stated shops are their favourite place to buy house decor, significantly retailers like Goal, Walmart, House Depot, and Lowe’s. Shoppers additionally famous that low cost shops like HomeGoods and TJ Maxx are various favourite locations to seek out their subsequent adorning staple (40% of respondents). Unsurprisingly, on-line shops, reminiscent of Amazon and Wayfair, are additionally fashionable (49% of respondents).
the actual property
and design connection
The true property course of may be irritating, which is why a whole lot of hundreds of shoppers throughout the nation flip to Opendoor for simplicity, certainty and pace. Understanding that design and décor play a job in that transaction expertise, it’s important that buyers discover design options that improve their day-to-day life and enhance house worth in the long run.
Are you on the lookout for the house of your goals? Obtain the Opendoor app to start out house searching and see how we might help you save money and time discovering your dream house.
Yasmine El Sanyoura is an inside designer for Opendoor.
Methodology: The Opendoor survey was performed on-line by Qualtrics amongst 800 nationally consultant US homebuyers ages 28-74 between September and October 2021 who’re involved in adorning or reworking their house (or have reworked within the final two years). The information was weighted to make sure a dependable and correct demographic illustration of the US homebuyer inhabitants ages 28-74. For the needs of this report, Millennials are outlined because the ages of 28 to 39, Era X is outlined because the ages of 40 to 55, and Child Boomers are outlined because the ages of 56 to 74.